Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm Pretty But Powerful

Well I'd like to think I am powerful, but at work, I'm more like puny... I know I know I am the associate, bottom-feeder, work horse... I could give your more names but you get the point. So it should come as no surprise when my desk looks like WW2 and I have no clue how many projects I have said yes to. So, I did it last week, I took a day and half off work. Yes, me, the workaholic!

Thursday was er rather rough in my life so about 11am I hit the road! I headed to The Cracker Barrel to meet a friend for lunch/breakfast and indulged in biscuits, pancakes and a yummy salad! It was just what I needed. Then I headed to my mecca DSW! Yes I did a little shoe retail therapy. Three pairs later I headed home to see the girls. We played, had a long walk and then napped. We stayed up late and watched Grey's after some pizza and wine and well it was just divine. Then I delivered DP to my overnight shift friend and headed to bed.

Friday, oh sweet Friday... I slept til 945! You heard me 945! My body clearly was telling me I needed rest. Then I hit the trail for a quick 4 miles, met one of my Discipleship girls for lunch, had a massage, dropped the pups off at Uncle M's for the weekend and hit the road for Girls' Weekend!

Did I check email, yes, did I worry I was missing something or looked bad, yes... but did the world end? No. Was I fired? No. Did my boss notice? well duh... but the point is, as much as I work and know where I want to end up I also know that I cannot ignore my body and mind telling me to slow down and take some time.

Work will be there tomorrow,  but my sanity and well-being won't. Work is only part of our lives and again only our temporary time here. I do not want to be remembered for the lawyer I was, but the person I was, the friend, daughter, sister, mother, wife.... Take time, smell the roses and take a day off. Chances are work will be much better after some R&R.

4 comments:

  1. So proud of you girlfriend!

    R&R is so important and I'm glad that you enjoyed your time off. YOU NEEDED IT!

    Cracker barrel sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pancakes and salad. LOL sounds perfect!
    Sometimes we all need to just take a "ME" day! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you for taking some much needed and well-deserved time off! You are SO right - work can wait sometimes. Your work is not more important than your health. I'm sure your boss can see what a dedicated and loyal worker you are, so no one can begrudge you a day off here and there. And sometimes, a bad day just calls for some pancakes and some retail therapy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the afternoon off today just to nap! Good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...